Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A newbird for this week.




As I wandered down the East side of the harbour I noticed a group of birders looking over the Breach pool so decided I should join them. To my delight there was a Spoonbill actively feeding alongside a Little Egret and a summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwit. We all watched for about 10 minutes when it took to the air and flew overhead to join a group of roosting Little Egrets at their high tide roosting site in the harbour affording excellent photographic opportunitries. Needless to say I had left my camera at home so the image above is one I took earlier....on 5th October 2007 in the harbour.

1 comment:

jon said...

I saw this bird yesterday (9th) as well. From about four-thirty till five-thirty, at least, it was with the egrets and herons at their high tide "club". The bill appeared to be all dark, and there wasn't much of a crest, so I'm inclined to think it might be a 2nd-year bird.

According to Mark Golley's Review of the Week from BirdGuides, "At least 10 SPOONBILLS were still around Cley (Norfolk) this week, with a further 10 spread across the country from Suffolk to Perth & Kinross."