Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A gruesome sight!

I managed to get out between the showers this morning and saw my first Slavonian Grebe in the harbour just to the west of the Spit hide.
As I made my way along the harbour entrance I suddenly became aware of a face looking at me ....and then I discovered it was the head of a fox poking through one of the many rusty holes of the iron retaining wall. On closer inspection I found that the body was hanging down on the inside of the sea wall in perfect condition. It must of been trapped by the incoming night tide and tried to escape through the hole but had become completely wedged. Poor thing must have stuggled in a vain effort to escape. I couldn't release it as it was totally jammed but will return later with a suitable implement to push it back through the hole.

1 comment:

Fruitcake said...

Its a pity you didn't have your camera with you. That would have made a pretty interesting image. I guess Mr Fox wasn't looking too fantastic!