Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A morning at Lavington Plantation

This morning dawned bright and sunny but with a considerable nip in the air. There was very little activity on Pagham Spit so prompted by some good images on the SOS and flickr websites  I made my way to Lavington Common. On meeting a couple of people with cameras I enquired if they were looking for Crossbills and having had no success myself looking on the common, I was told I had been in the wrong area...I needed  to go over the road into the plantation! It was not long before I heard the characteristic 'chip chip' call!!
I located a few Crossbills in a tall pine and then stumbled on a patch of rainwater in a cart track. Knowing that Crossbills drink frequently I positioned myself with the sun behind me and waited. It didn't take long for the action to start....not only Crossbills but Woodlarks were singing, Siskins flew in, Meadow Pipits bathed and a Raven was harrassed by Carrion Crows...and then a Buzzard landed in a nearby tree and spooked the lot!
A few images below...and a good morning.

The first Male Crossbill

What a size diiefence....Raven and  Carrion Crows

Woodlark...about to sing!

A male Crossbill at the puddle.

Meadow Pipit appoaching pool.
Another male Crossbill...about to come to the pool.

Female Crossbill drinking.




Buzzard watching!



No comments: