Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Black Brant again!


After I had written yesterdays blog I realised I had not mentioned the Chiffchaff calling and then singing in the ivy clad bushes on the way to to the spit hide. This is the first one I had heard  singing this year and further  confirmation that Spring is here!
This morning there was no sign of him and only one male Wheatear was present on the pebbles by the hide.

The highlight this morning was the proximity of the Black Brant and although I didn't have my S.L.R. I was able to get a snap with my Lumix and a very good comparison with a Brent Goose!
Ok, it isn't a brilliant photo but it does give a pretty good idea of the difference between the two and yet at a distance they are sometimes very difficult to pick out....but I suppose you could sometimes be trying to find just that one bird  in a thousand or more!

A walk to the North Wall and the Paddyfield Warbler showed well, albeit briefly!

About 120+ Golden Plover were on their usual mudbank but a few were almost in total summer plumage.

Rock Pipits still present along the wall and Cettis Warblers bursting forth with their explosive song from time to time!

No comments: