Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pagham Spit first thing this morning produced a Spotted Flycatcher....I can't recall having seen one of these before on the spit! A Willow Warbler was feeding avidly after the channel crossing and a single male Wheatear was on the Saltmarsh. Little else showed up but the Red Legged Partridges were being very noisy and could be heard the other side of the Little Lagoon on the beach. The Swan is still sitting on her nest on New Island.

I emptied the moth trap and although common I think these two are really magnificent...
Cream-spot Tiger

Angle shades
Who said moths are boring!

Later in the day I made my way to Marlpit Lane just over the border in Hampshire and was amazed at the variety of species in a very small area....Nightingales, Lesser Whitethroat, Turtle Doves seen and heard 'purring' ; but I didn't find the Nightjar photographed a few weeks ago by Dave Potter (he was just jammy! ).
Well worth another visit sometime.

No comments: