Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring has sprung..at last!

A sunny start to the morning and a wander around the spit with camera. Greenfinches seem particularly numerous at present and the males are very tempting photographic subjects!

Greenfinch in sunshine!



..and another!


Wing stretching or displaying.

I had hoped I would find a Wheatear near the hide where it was on Saturday when I was without my camera but it was nowhere to be seen. Returning along the beach I found a single Ringed Plover who was viewing me suspiciously and I suspect may have a mate on a nest further up the beach. A quick photo and I left him in peace.
Ringed Plover eyeing me suspiciously.


As I was walking back to the path a white flash....the rump of a Wheatear and a second . Both birds allowed me to approach until within range and hey presto! my first Wheatear images this season.
Male Wheatear


Wheatear female
Spring really is on the way
..and then 2 Swallows flew in off the sea!

Mid afternoon I checked the North Wall and a pair of Swallows have returned to the barn in the horses field and a Sedge Warbler was singing in the reed bed. A drake Gadwall on the pools.

No comments: