Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Late departure...for one bird.

The first frost of winter...at least on the car but not on the grass.

As I looked out at just before sunrise at 7.00am a Kingfisher flew along the channel and alighted on the revetment rocks.

Very soon the sun was up and I was out....cold but clear.

...and then surprisingly a lone House Martin flew west at quite a height...a very late departure...I hope he makes it to Africa.

From the Spit hide I could make out a group of gulls way out in the middle of the harbour and one bird looked suspiciously like a Spoonbill...I couldn't be sure as I didn't have a 'scope but on returning home checked my very long distance photo on the p.c.....yep a Spoonbill. Hence a very poor record shot, heavily cropped....nevertheless identifiable.

After a bright morning the weather deteriorated,clouded over but warmed up slightly.

No comments: