Top Paragraph

Pagham Birder: The Blog

A regular account of the birds seen mainly on and around Pagham Spit, the Lagoon and the North Wall plus other birding exploits from time to time.
Any news of interest regarding the ongoing erosion problems on Pagham Beach will, from now on, be shown on my other blog together with general beach photos.. Click on the link... Pagham Beach Blog on this page.

Saturday, June 3, 2017


Thanks to local birder/photographer David Illman I was alerted to the fact that young Kestrels were present on Pagham Parish Church.  During this afternoon I paid a visit and sure enough a youngster was perched high up on the roof. I had hoped that by waiting, the parents would come and feed them but alas, this didn't happen whilst I was there. Initially I could only see one bird but as I waited another came into view. 


The lighting was not good and only one shot showed the bird in the sunshine with a catchlight in the eye.



 The other bird was completely in the shade but the only excitement occurred when a gust of wind almost caused him/her to topple!

Frantically managing to balance.


Composure restored.

As soon as I had returned home, a Sparrow Hawk appeared in the garden alley way within feet of me and tore this poor unsuspecting bird to pieces

That's nature!

These photos were taken through very dirty double glazed windows in the summer house. He remained about a minute before he saw me at close quarters and made off with his prey.



The resident Cuckoo has continued calling mostly in the late afternoons. There are still plenty of caterpillars of the Brown Tailed Moth about so he wont go hungry!


 ...and that's another week gone.

No comments: